2.09.2010

The Power of YouTube


I want you all to watch that video before reading this entry. If your computer doesn't have speakers or you can't have the volume on right now, hold off on this. You need to watch this video. If you are having trouble making out all the lyrics, fear not! The organization who put this on has a site "for the hearing impaired."

Now that you're all familiar with "That Christian Side Hug" we can proceed with the entry.

I understand a lot of things that Christians have to say about relationship and shall we say, relations. I get it. I don't necessarily thing preaching abstinence works, but I understand that in an ideal world it's a great solution. Certainly I find it disturbing that children (and yes they are children) are getting some first hand experience with the birds and the bees long before they ever take a sex ed class in high school. But can someone please explain to me how "full frontal hugging" is a problem?

First of all, it's not actually called "full frontal hugging." It's just plain old hugging. People have been hugging this way for a long time. I hug all of my friends and family this way. I have many male friends who I hug and it has in now way ever made me somehow lose control to the point where I have been overwhelmed with inappropriate thoughts. 

There are about a million things I can think of that are more important to worry about than this. 

And how come lame rap songs make things "cool?" In what world is this rap cool? I want to meet the person who heard this rap and decided, "Yeah man, no more full frontal hugs for me, Imma start hugging on the side. Christian style. What up!"



3 comments:

Danielle said...

hahaha omg that's awful.
I also like how the song makes it sound like it's all the girls. we MAKE boys give us full frontal hugs. with that look in our eyes! scandalous!

But actually, the camp I worked at a couple summers ago, we had to tell the older girls cabin [13-16] about side hugging. But only because there were two boys, who were brothers, who are short, so they would come up to the girls to give them hugs and their heads are riiiiight on level with the girls boobs. And those two seemed to go in for a lot of hugs. haha. So we explained to the girls this wasn't appropriate for those two boys to be doing to them and told them to side hug them to avoid such things.

Danielle said...

hahaha omg that's awful.
I also like how the song makes it sound like it's all the girls. we MAKE boys give us full frontal hugs. with that look in our eyes! scandalous!

But actually, the camp I worked at a couple summers ago, we had to tell the older girls cabin [13-16] about side hugging. But only because there were two boys, who were brothers, who are short, so they would come up to the girls to give them hugs and their heads are riiiiight on level with the girls boobs. And those two seemed to go in for a lot of hugs. haha. So we explained to the girls this wasn't appropriate for those two boys to be doing to them and told them to side hug them to avoid such things.

Amanda-Jean said...

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous.

Those boys are super clever! Oh kids these days... so entertaining.