12.03.2009

So this one time I was wrong...

While back I posted a nice little rant about coffee and the never ending battle between Dunkin' and Starbucks on my friend Steve's blog.

Well fellow coffee drinkers... my sentiment rings true. Enter November and wonderousness that is the Starbucks gingerbread latte. This is $5 a day well spent if you ask me (and it's my blog, so yes, you asked me). So I have gone along for a month or so getting my daily caffeine fix with a bit of a holiday twist.

But today this stopped abruptly. No, I'm not giving up coffee and no I'm not giving up the seasonal flair, but I am giving up on Starbucks. Part of it was the abysmal (and I mean seriously, seriously awful) customer service I've received the past week or so and part of it is my love of supporting local business, but I have discovered that there are at least a dozen or so small cafes that aren't terribly far out the way featuring their own version of my favorite beverage.

Now don't worry, I'm not going to go all Jeffery Steingarten and review each of these places for you (if this disappoints you- check out my reviews on Yelp!) All I'm trying to say is that I was wrong, and that's not something I'll easily admit to often - especially when it comes to my spending habits - so this is a big deal. I learned a big lesson this week: I can get my daily latte at a lower price, with more flavor, all while basking in the coziness of a quaint cafe and skipping the crazy lines and snobby baristas at The 'Bux.

Silly me! I should've realized this long ago- Boston has tons and tons of cute indie coffee places, but better late than never, right?

No comments: